Thursday, July 29, 2010

Psalm 33, 7/28/10

I have been reading Charles Spurgeon's commentary on the psalms. On psalms 33 he makes a point I would like to quote as a support to our faith. One of the things this trial does is attempt to persuade me that the truths of God are a lie. Let this truth dispell those temptations out of your life. Verse 10:"The Lord bringeth the counsel of the heathen to nought" (comment) "While his own will is done, He takes care to anticipate the willfulness of His enemies. Before they come to action He vanquishes them in the council-chamber; and when, well armed with craft, they march to the assault, He frustrates their knaveries, and makes their promising plots to end in nothing. Not only the folly of the heathen, but their wisdom too, shall yield to the power of the cross of Jesus: what a comfort is this to those who have to labor where sophistry, and philosophy, falsely so called, (I will add the law) are set in opposition to the truth as it is in Jesus. 'He maketh the devices of the people of none effect.' Their persecutions, slanders, falsehoods, are like puff-balls flung against a granite wall--they produce no result at all; for the Lord overrules the evil, and brings good out of it. The cause of God is never in danger: infernal craft is outwitted by infinite wisdom, and Satanic malice held in check by boundless power."

This is just one sampling of truth that pervades my spirit and justifies my hopes and faith. Who is it that can really content with the Lord? I know my enemies are powerful and full of craft, but my source, guide, and beloved led me here by His power and will deliver my by the same and no enemy has got a chance in hell to veer the outcome. Take courage in your faith as I do in the infinite wisdom of a loving God who places us in circumstances that build us up and not tear us down.

No comments: